Friday, December 4, 2009

Have we love one another?

Part 1
Remember the suicides that just happened at two famous malls in Jakarta? It was Monday evening when I turned on my computer and was about to check on my twitter. I began to notice the word ‘suicide’ on some of my friends’ tweets. I thought at first it was nothing but then I realized that everybody was talking about it, lots of them made speculations about the motives, some of them even made jokes about it.. What makes it worse was that the photos of the body were posted also. It was quite disturbing. Can you imagine if it was someone you personally knew? It’s hard already for the family to accept the fact that they just lost their loved ones and now thanks to us, we just made their burden become heavier.
My deepest condolences for the family and friends of the victim.

Part 2
Why did they choose mall? I guess they were crying for help, desperately seeking for attention. Would anyone try to stop me? Would anyone notice if I jump? Would they still remember me if I’m gone? Maybe some of us would think that’s really pathetic. We are all messed up, we all have our own problems, but is suicide really the answer? That’s just stupid. We all needed somebody to help us get through hard times, it can be our friends, families, lovers, or even strangers that happened to be around us. No matter how hard our problem is, there is always a way to solve it.

Everything happens for a reason and everyone is worth knowing.

Couple of days before this happened in Jakarta, it was Sunday after the church, I was helping with the Sunday school, the church venue is in the 4th floor of one international building here in Suzhou. The church ended late that day and the reason was a Chinese man committed suicide from the building. His body was still in front of the building, the police moved it and covered it though. We were told to leave the building from the back entrance. The feeling was really indescribable, I got goosebumps all over my body. It was a really weird Sunday for me.

And now the challenge is what can we do people? What can we do to prevent these things from happening again and again?
My “picture perfect” thought for today would be:
“Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.” (Rom 13:8)

No comments: